Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Free Verse Poem - As you did


You told me
once upon a time
that you too would grow old
and I told you
impossible
you’re superwoman!

But now as my belly grows bigger
and your body grows smaller
I see now
what you meant

So for now
I will love you
as you loved me

When the road ahead seems too endless
and the clouds above your head too thick to push past
when you’ve fallen too far into the well
there I will be
with my rope
and my glue
ready to pull you up
or glue you back together
as you did for me

I will be your Dimetapp in the late nights
and your earl grey tea in the mornings
I will be your “someone”
that doesn’t just give you a shoulder
or a hand
when I know you need a spine
And when your rain boots grow holes
I will splash my bare feet alongside yours
as you did with me

I will walk by your side
when the days are bright
sharing your butterflies and cherry blossoms
or run by your side
when the fire's blaze is on your heels
and when the day comes that you can walk no more
mine will be the footprints
carrying yours
as you did for me

And on that day when the pills and diapers take over
when your feet can no longer walk themselves
I will be there
to feed you by your favourite spoon
or to comb your silver hair
as you did for me

But for now
like squirrels in the autumn
I will save up your smiles
and kisses
and bear hugs
for when the rain comes pouring down
I can take them from the hidden corners of my pocket
and piece together
what I have left
of your face
your scent
your touch
your voice


For now
I will love you
and love her
her with her little hands that wrap around my thumb
and pink wrinkled face
and eyes that haven’t learned to open
I will love her
as you loved me

No comments:

Post a Comment